Tuesday 16 March 2010

Hospital eases bureaucratic stress

All-round advisor
Another day at the hospital planned just last week and besides that planned for tomorrow to see the foot and rehabilitation specialist.
Last Friday, I decided to avail myself of the hospital social services having seen my quest for welfare support derailed by ping-pong bureaucracy.
The appointment was an early on set for 9:00 AM, I do not think I slept that much overnight but I got all the files and papers filled in last month together and that seems to have been all I needed.
I vacillated about taking my laptop with me and eventually left it at home thinking the problem will be taken out of my hands and sorted somehow, I was determined I would not be further burdened by the stress of navigating the system.
When I met my advisor, she first wanted to know about my health, my strength, my mind and my expectations – well, I feel good, though my right foot does flake a bit and offers me a good itch due to fungal infections and blisters that might well be dealt with soon.
She obtained an alternative prescription cream for help deal with the itch as we talked about other matters of post-chemotherapy conditioning for the return to work and so on.
Not so easy, it was not
Then we moved to the matter for which I was visiting, my application for benefits that had been stuck in the system – we drew a timeline of time of unemployment, when I first fell ill, the progression of illness to the diagnosis of cancer, the treatments and the post-chemotherapy issues.
It appeared my business was not particularly a walk in the park; she left to explain the situation to a psychologist who also happens to be the resident expert on these bureaucracies and persuaded her to review my papers.
The times and records became the more important issue apart from the fact that my not realising my health was deteriorating meant I did not seek medical help promptly nor resort to welfare funds, I needed a narrative.
The expert called all the offices to find out the best kind of approach to deal with my situation and fortunately she linked up with someone who had a good idea of what to do, albeit the suggestion was offered as a very long shot.
My new application
My last contract, bank details, identification papers, records of last payments and a reasonably lengthy litany of the how I found myself in the situation I was in and the why it took so long to register the situation was needed to make my case to the bureaucracies.
Fortunately, I had all that information and the services of the hospital internet service computers to craft my supporting letter which the expert reviewed, amended, notarised and packaged for delivery on the hospital’s livery along with all the photocopies of requested material.
Just over 4 hours at the hospital and I could maybe breathe a sigh of some relief and hope for a very favourable response to my application in the not too distant future – even tomorrow already seems too late, that is how much I need this matter resolved now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took me a long time to search on the net, only your site explain the fully details, bookmarked and thanks again.

- Kris

Post a Comment

Comments are accepted if in context are polite and hopefully without expletives and should show a name, anonymous, would not do. Thanks.